Looking for some fun things to do with the family in the South? Look no further than one of our favorite places in Louisiana- Baton Rouge.
What Makes Baton Rouge, LA a Great Place for Families to Visit?
Baton Rouge, often fondly referred to as the “Red Stick,” is more than just the capital of Louisiana—it’s a veritable haven for families. One of the first things that stands out about Baton Rouge is its innate ability to merge historical charm with modern convenience, making it both educational and functional for families of all shapes and sizes.
From its wealth of museums, like the interactive Baton Rouge Children’s Museum to the historical Louisiana’s Old State Capitol, the city offers a blend of fun-filled learning opportunities that cater to curious minds of all ages.
But it’s not just the educational opportunities that make Baton Rouge a family-friendly locale. The city is lush with parks, zoos, and open spaces, perfect for weekend picnics, leisurely strolls, or spontaneous playdates.
Places such as the BREC’s Magnolia Mound Plantation and Hilltop Arboretum provide serene, natural settings that allow families to connect with nature, all while being a stone’s throw away from urban comforts.
The community-driven events, family-friendly eateries, and the warm, welcoming Southern hospitality further enhance Baton Rouge’s appeal. Whether you’re a local or a visitor, the city exudes a sense of belonging, making every family feel right at home.
Without further ado, here’s a detailed guide family-friendly things to do in this captivating city (besides what we already just mentioned).
FYI – there are some options here that might be scary to some, including a haunted house! Be sure to read up on the places you may want to visit so they’re appropriate for your little ones (in case some get scared easily)
15 Fun Things to Do in Baton Rouge
- Why it’s great for families: A chance to see over 800 animals, the Baton Rouge Zoo has educational programs and playgrounds for kids. It’s a delightful adventure for the whole family.
- Nearby: Close to the Greenwood Park, it’s perfect for picnics and relaxation after a zoo visit.
- Why it’s great for families: A Gothic architectural marvel that teaches kids about the state’s history through interactive displays.
- Nearby: Located downtown, it’s steps away from local eateries and the Mississippi River.
- Why it’s great for families: Offers exciting water rides, ensuring fun-filled aquatic adventures for all ages.
- Nearby: Just a short drive from major hotels and the Mall of Louisiana.
- Why it’s great for families: This historic site provides a glimpse into the early French Creole culture and architecture.
- Nearby: Situated near the Mississippi River, it’s a scenic spot for family photos.
- Why it’s great for families: A restored WWII destroyer, it provides a hands-on history lesson for the entire family.
- Nearby: Located downtown, you can explore nearby shops and eateries afterward.
- Why it’s great for families: It’s an interactive and engaging learning experience for kids of all ages.
- Nearby: Located near City-Brooks Community Park, a perfect spot for post-museum relaxation.
- Why it’s great for families: Visit the famed LSU mascot in his habitat, a great experience for Tiger fans of all ages.
- Nearby: Right on the LSU campus, it’s close to the LSU Museum of Art and LSU Rural Life Museum.
- Why it’s great for families: Showcases Louisiana’s diverse culture and history through interactive exhibits.
- Nearby: In downtown Baton Rouge, it’s close to various eateries and local attractions.
- Why it’s great for families: Walk along the Mississippi River, enjoy the local arts scene, and dine at family-friendly restaurants.
- Nearby: Surrounded by attractions like the Old State Capitol and the USS Kidd.
- Why it’s great for families: A contemporary art gallery offering visual arts and engaging workshops.
- Nearby: Located near the City Park Lake, a serene place for family picnics.
- Why it’s great for families: Families can explore beautiful gardens and participate in nature-themed workshops.
- Nearby: A tranquil spot, it’s perfect for nature walks and bird-watching.
- Why it’s great for families: Dive into the world of arts and theater. Perfect for introducing kids to cultural performances.
- Nearby: Centrally located, it’s close to many downtown attractions.
13. Cohn Arboretum
- Why it’s great for families: Discover various plant species, fruits, and trees in this 16-acre arboretum.
- Nearby: Perfect for peaceful strolls and picnics, it’s a nature lover’s paradise.
- Why it’s great for families: Ideal for hiking and exploring the natural beauty of Baton Rouge.
- Nearby: It offers a direct connection to the world of wildlife and green spaces.
- Why it’s great for families: For families with older kids, this haunted house promises thrilling experiences.
- Nearby: Located downtown, there are plenty of restaurants to calm those post-haunt jitters.
What Have We Learned?
Alright kiddos and kiddo-approved adults, here’s the deal: Baton Rouge isn’t just another dot on the map! It’s where history shakes hands with a squirrel, where you can learn about ancient battles one moment and have a splashy water fight the next.
It’s the place where gumbo meets playgrounds, and where museums come with a side of ice cream (well, not literally, but there’s always an ice cream shop around the corner!).
So, if you’re looking to spend a day as a pirate, a scholar, a nature explorer, or just someone with a big appetite for fun (and maybe some beignets), Baton Rouge is calling your name.
Hope to see you there!
Be sure to check out our other resources and articles about Louisiana so you’re prepared before you make your trek out here!